There are currently no dates set for this course. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if interested in hosting or attending.
8:00am-5:00pm, 8 credits, POST # 9038-0193
Instructor: Jonathan Bundt, M.A.
Cost: $150/Member $175 Non Member
This course will cover all aspects and meet requirements of the Minnesota POST Board 2018 Crisis Intervention and mental illness crisis training, with an emphasis on deepening officers understanding of mental illness and the practical assessment and intervention strategies. Through presentations of experts, community resources, individuals who live with mental illness and active demonstration role play will cover a wide range of mental health challenges. Course will also look at understanding the impact that these types of calls have on officers
- Understanding major and severe forms of mental illness.
- Develop a practical assessment plan in dealing with mental illness crisis.
- Learn specific intervention techniques for managing a person in mental health crisis.
- Understanding a variety of special populations and how they deal with crisis.
- Deepening the officer’s understanding of the impact responding to mental health calls.
- To know: Who they are. Why they are there. And why they do what they do..so you have more options.
- Mental illness is not a crime; it is a brain disease. And there is minimal correlation between mental illness and a person’s participation in crime.
- Most people with mental illnesses are fully functioning community members.
- Mental illness and the person are not one and the same. Your safety will always be a critical factor